I picked up a honey mango at the store yesterday, noticed it because it was all yellow-orange in color, not like the mangoes from Florida that are light green blending with yellow and red. Turns out, from what I researched, it is from native of Pakistan, and is grown in Mexico as well. It's also known as a Champagne mango or Ataulfo mango.
Mango Smoothie Recipe
|Prep Time:||8 minutes|
|Cook Time:||none - (that's the best part about Smoothies)|
- 1/8 cup cranberry-raspberry juice
- ¼ cup green tea - made with one tea bag
- ½ cup frozen mango
- grated fresh ginger (use about a 1" square chunk)
- several ice cubes, depending on how thick you like it
Place all ingredients in a blender, start at low speed until it starts to mix and then move to the higher speed until blended.
Okay so lets run through the health benefits, while we're at it.
Health Benefits of Mango:
- The enzymes in a mango help relieve acidity in the stomach and aid indigestion problems.
- Vitamin E is abundant in mangoes
- High in dietary fiber, vitamin C, and pectin, mangoes help lower LDL cholesterol.
- Mangoes are rich in iron and therefore beneficial to those who suffer from anemia.
- Mangoes are high in antioxidants so, when eaten regularly, can help fight cancer and heart diseases.
Health Benefits of Ginger:
- Studies conducted by Cornell University Medical College show that ginger is effective in thinning the blood, which aids in dissolving blood clots.
- Ginger is high in calcium and iron which helps build strong bones.
- Like Garlic, it has anti-inflammatory antioxidant properties, strengthening the immune system.
- Ginger may help increase blood flow to your extremities, helping cold hands and cold feet. ( I have this problem, unless it's about 75 degrees outside.)
- Ginger also seems to help regulate blood sugar and relieve menstrual cramps.
And of course there is also the Green Tea which is also known for its antioxidant properties.
Get a bunch of Honey Mangoes while they're in season, and treat yourself and your body to them. Cut up and freeze the rest for mango smoothies throughout the summer. I'll post some more mango smoothie recipe ideas as I come up with them. In the meantime, here's some delicoso Strawberry Smoothie Recipes I put together. Have fun and enjoy!
( If you have any great mango smoothie recipes to share, I'd love to hear about them.)
|Cuisinart Smoothie Blender|
It also comes with a chopping cup to mince herbs. I use that when I just want to make a small amount of my favorite pesto (see my previous blog).