Why I am Starting This Health Blog

When I was 15 years old, and my brother was 10, we lost our mother to a 2 year battle with breast cancer. While many of the details were kept sheltered from us, I remember multiple surgeries, in addition to radiation and cancer treatments. I know that my mother suffered greatly during that losing battle. I also remember my father saying afterward that statistics at the time (30+ years ago) showed that had she opted top receive no treatment whatsoever, her lifespan may have been 5 years - not 2 years. Granted, treatments have no doubt come a long way since, but my thought is, "Who wants to get cancer (or any other disease or sickness) in the first place?"

I should mention that, in the years since, my father has devoted much time and energy into researching alternatives to traditional cancer treatment. I have learned a great deal about healthy eating from him. His website devoted to this issue is http://www.westayhealthy.net

Over the years, I have decided to make my lifestyle one in which I can avoid as many health problems as possible, for as long as possible. And I must admit that vanity comes into play here as well. Not only do I want to feel good, but I want to look good (somehow that desire especially kicks in when you hit the 40-year mark).

So on a lighter note, after all that, I want to have fun in life, and on this blog, while sharing some of the things I've learned over the years that others may want to take advantage of as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment