I came across this recipe in an old Cooking Light Magazine, and as usual, made a few changes to it to suit what I had on hand.
It turned out to be very simple, healthy (a prerequisite), filling , and tasted great. I will post the nutritional value at the end. Whole wheat pasta could easily be used and this would still be a healthy recipe, however brown rice pasta instead of whole wheat pasta makes this eggplant recipe into a gluten-free dish. Gluten free is healthy for all, but especially necessary for those individuals with Celiac disease.
Ingredients for Brown Rice Pasta with Eggplant and Sauce
- 1 (16-ounce) package brown rice penne (or ziti) - I used brown rice past shells
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cubed eggplant (about 1 small)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) pre-shredded Italian-blend or Parmesan cheese, divided ( I sprinkled grated Asiago cheese on the top just before serving)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant and onion; sauté 8 minutes or until onion is browned. Stir in garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and pasta sauce; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Toss eggplant mixture with pasta. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese; toss gently. Top evenly with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Serve immediately.
Amount per serving
- Calories: 353
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 11.5g
- Carbohydrate: 56.3g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Calcium: 202mg
Health Benefits of Eggplant:
Eggplant is high in fiber and potassium, a good source of B1 and B6. It also contains important phytonutrients,and flavonoids, many which have antioxidant activity, lessening free radical and cellular damage. For more complete information, see Eggplant Health Benefits.
Another idea to add some for this recipe would be to add some sauteed shrimp in with the eggplant. I will try that the next time I make it.
If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please let me know!